Sunday, April 22, 2012

Weekly Training Wrap - 4/16 - 4/22

This was a big week for me, 65 mile is the most I've had in 8 weeks, and my third largest week of the season.  All totaled, I logged a total of 12.5 hours of training.  Mixed into that training were a couple of big runs. The first was a darn good tempo run on Thursday. With that run, I have run 23.5 miles at half marathon pace in the past two weeks. I think I am peaking at a good time for Colorado. It has been tough to balance the two training schedules (Colorado and LT100), but I think I have done a pretty good job.

The other big run was my long training run for the month of April. My goal is to do at least one run per month that is 30 miles or more (or a minimum of 5 hours). This run was a big confidence builder because I have been working hard on nutrition and hydration and it is paying off. I felt strong and was able to eat and drink just as I hoped the entire day. I wound up consuming almost 2700 calories from:
  • GU Roctane Drink - 1450
  • Protein Bars - 820
  • Organic Enery Bar - 270
  • Honey Stinger Gel - 120
  • 75% from carbs, 10% protein, and 15% fat
All in all that left me right at the calorie level I desire (more than 400 per hour). The trouble is that I need to find a way to get more protein and fat. I may have NO choice but to alternate in Accelerade to get some additional protein, but I clearly prefer the GU Roctane. I will continue to tinker as I move forward, but I have a darn good starting point. And, by the way, the GNC Pro Performance Chocolate Brownie bar is amazing!

That pretty much winds down my current marathon training cycle. I will begin tapering for the Colorado Marathon so that I can put up a good number there, possibly even a PR. That means I will have to be patient with my ultra training for a few weeks. I may try to squeak in a trail run or two and will continue weight training up until a few days before the race.


Day Miles Notes
Monday Rest x-training
Tuesday 8.1 Recovery Pace
Wednesday8 Recovery Pace
Thursday102 x 3 @ HMP
FridayRest
Saturday 6.5 Recovery Pace
Sunday 32 Long Training Run
Total 65 About 4200 vertical feet

No comments:

Post a Comment