Monday, May 6, 2013

Weekly Training Wrap - 4/29 - 5/5

Lots of things to cover this week. First, an April recap. It was a dud. OK, not a total loss, I ran 143 miles in 22 hours with about 13K of elevation. As a comparison, last year I ran 230 miles in April with nearly 20K of vertical. Clearly I am behind at this point.

If you caught up on my ITB update earlier this week, then you know that I don't plan to run for at least one week. At this point, I am leaning toward two weeks off and then starting back slowly. I bought a bike and will attempt to ride to work (about 10 miles each way) a few days a week to get some aerobic exercise and get things going in the right direction. Then I will attempt to start running every other day the week of the 13th. There is no cure for ITB; no anti-inflammatory, no PT exercise that singularly fixes it. There are lots of things I can do to improve as a runner and hopefully prevent it, but once its got its claws in you, rest is your best friend.

I have started a really focused PT and strength training program from my favorite book, Anatomy for Runners. There is plenty here keep me busy for a while. I am pretty certain that most of my overuse injuries stem from the hips -- lack of flexibility, strength, and rotation. It is somewhat embarrassing how weak I am in the legs. But I am working hard to correct that. I have a goal to squat 300 pounds in by the end of the year.

Day Miles Notes
Monday Off Rest
Tuesday Off PT and Strength Training
WednesdayOff PT and Core Training
ThursdayOffPT and Core Training
FridayOff PT and Strength Training
Saturday OffPT and Core Training
Sunday Off PT and Core Training
Total 0

No comments:

Post a Comment