Monday, June 2, 2014

Weekly Training Wrap - 5/26 - 6/1

Huge week of training for me. I took advantage of Memorial day and got up to the trails for an extra day and a supercharge to my vertical for the week (an extra 2100). During the week, I did a little heat training and a mini-tempo effort on Wednesday. But, the big run of the week was my Saturday run where Tony, Chuck, and I finally linked up the three trail systems south and west of Denver. We bought a map and turned the whole day into one big adventure. There were some struggles, but overall it was a fun day with lots of specific elements. My plan was to make this a 50 mile "effort" and I think I did that. We ate a bunch, stopped and started a lot, and we were outside nearly the entire day (in the heat). All of those were very specific elements for what I will encounter on June 28th. I hope to move a bit more efficiently on race day, but the elements of fatigue and problem solving in this weekend's run will serve me well. After we were done, it was very frightening to consider that Bear 100 was the equivalent of doing that loop 4 time.  Wow.

The Summit of Carpenter Peak

Looking back up the trail in Roxborough

Big Horn Sheep in Waterton Canyon

Running downhill on the Colorado Trail


On a final note, I spent Saturday volunteering at the Golden Gate Dirty 30 to serve my service requirement for Bear 100. It was a long, exhausting day, but it was quite an experience. I really enjoyed meeting Ben Reeves and supporting the runners. I also enjoyed getting a sneak peek at that insane course (32 miles and 8K of vertical gain). I may have to do that event someday...

Our Base Camp for the day at Junction 44/56 - Windy Peak and Burro

24 mile leader, and eventual 2nd place finisher, Kerrie Bruxvoort

TK hiking the last steep climb back to our aid station just after taking over 1st place

With 1 mile to go. He effortlessly went from a hike straight into running. 

Day Miles Notes
Monday 11Deer Creek
Tuesday5 Easy
Wednesday10 Open Space Trails
Strength Training
Thursday8The Bluffs (in the heat)
Friday9 Easy
Saturday OffRest
Sunday 26Roxborough, Indian Creek and CT
Total 69About 10,700 feet of vert

No comments:

Post a Comment