Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Moving Past Leadville

Several people have commented that either:
  1. I graded my Leadville experience on my expectations and did not revise for my illness
  2. I graded myself by section and but provided no overall grade, or
  3. I should consider my training as a success in it's own way

Based on this feedback and my own need to analyze, I decided some type of reflection was a good (maybe just fun) idea. I'm glad I waited until after my race result had set in so that I didn't make an emotional analysis.

Leadville SR Wrap

The Grade


Goal Time 10:00 (though I internally always want better)
Actual Time 10:07 (gun time), 10:05 chip time (difference is Dutch Henry)
Grade: A-/B+ (cannot decide)

The Explanation

The grade is very tough and extremely subjective. I am very happy with training and have come to the realization that it was a GREAT first ultra result. The conditions were extreme (heat, altitude, mountains, technical terrain, illness), much tougher than a flatland looping 50 miler. The only thing I am really disappointed with is that if you inspect the results, you will notice that I had fought back (from 129th) into the race and couldn't close the deal. At one point I was in 48th place and I let 30 runners pass me down the stretch. Bummer. If it were not for that detail, I would give myself and A. If I had finished in 9:45 or less, I'd likely give myself and A+.

Positives and Negatives


Positives that I took from my experience
  • Sharing this with my family (and friends)
  • An amazing experience that I will remember for a lifetime
  • A very respectable time for a first timer
  • Power walking
  • Mental resolve
  • Planning and attention to detail
Negatives
  • I was unable to capitalize on my mid-race momentum and an easy finish
  • No clear understanding of what caused my stomach problems (not sure how to treat)

What's next?

Quite simply more. I loved my experience. It is difficult to explain to someone what a life changing experience an ultramarathon becomes. That said, I want to improve. Here are some areas that I think I can improve upon for my next ultra:
  • Hill Running, lots and lots of hill running. No more walking medium grade hills for me.
  • Hiking and altitude acclimation, which mostly likely means summiting some 14ers
  • More technical trail running. I'd like to double or triple the number of miles I spent on the trails next summer
  • Nutrition. I need to keep dialing that in. And I need to condition my body to go farther on less.
  • Hot weather running. More practice running in the heat of the day running.
  • Cross-training. I need more, particularly in the off-season.

Races

As of the moment I have one more official race for the year, the Las Vegas Marathon. I plan to race that and put marathon "racing" to bed for a while. That doesn't mean that I'll never run another marathon, I just don't anticipate it being my focus over the next 12 months (or more). I haven't committed to a training plan for Vegas just yet, but I'm thinking about going away from a Pfitz-type plan and doing more of the same. That would mean lots of long runs, lots of hill training, and the addition of some speed training. I will probably dial my mileage back a touch from my peak (70+ miles on peak weeks). I have also committed to the Lead King Loop trail race in September.

As for races next year, here is a potential list of things:
  • Pikes Ascent or Marathon
  • A shorter race in the Leadville Series (Marathon, Heavy Half)
  • Collegiate Peaks 25M or 50M
  • Leadville Silver Rush 50
  • Some other 50 mile race
  • Golden Gate Dirty Thirty
  • Western States 100 (I qualified but would need to get in 10% chance lottery)
  • Leadville 100
  • Something I have yet to even consider

Training/Summer Wrap Up

I have kept detailed notes and could probably give you a monologue about each of my runs over the past 7 months. That said, here is a collection of dates and runs that stand out to me. Most of my friends and family shared in one or more of these days, which is the best part.

No comments:

Post a Comment