Sunday, October 21, 2012

Weekly Training Wrap - 10/15 - 10/21

My family and I spent Fall break this week in St George, UT visiting my sister. I love running in St George because it is flat and low. And added bonus, it is a good time to be there and enjoy some seasonal weather. It really showed as my heart rate was at least 10 bpm lower than it has been of late on similar runs.

On a somewhat significant front, I discovered a wonderful book this week that I read cover-to-cover. (I don't often do that anymore because I rarely find a book with enough substance to keep my attention). I will detail the "aha" of what I discovered in another post, but the tidbit that fits here is about my knee. The author of the book suggests that fixing a sore tendon takes 40-60 eccentric reps a day for 5-6 weeks. That is both good news and bad news. The good news is that I am starting to discover what it will take for me to get fully healthy. The bad news is that I am 10 weeks into this injury and only doing a fraction of that work (maybe 20-25 reps a day 3 times a week).

In addition to some tendon strengthening, I am going to begin working on my core with the following PT exercies (everyday):

  • Suprapatella Pouch Stretch
  • Foam Rolling my Quads, Hamstrings, and IT Band
  • Clams (100 reps)
  • Donkey Kicks (50 per leg)
  • Bridge March (3 x 10 on each leg)
  • Knee to Chest Bridge (3 x 12 on each leg)
  • Balance and stability (standing on one leg, sitting on a Swiss ball, etc..)

Now that I am going to be doing more running, I am switching back to my old weekly summary format. But, I will continue my cross-training and PT efforts. I plan to stay on PT daily for at least another 8 weeks, then perhaps back it off to 3 times a week. Cross-training has always been a focus for me and I hope to continue doing it 3 times a week going forward.

Day Miles Notes
Monday 4 Easy with my wife
Tuesday 6 Easy with my wife
WednesdayRest Cross training - Legs
Thursday10Moderately hard MLR
Friday4 Easy with my wife
Saturday RestPT exercises
Sunday 4 Easy with my wife
Total 28 About 730 vertical feet

No comments:

Post a Comment