Sunday, February 24, 2013

Weekly Training Wrap - 2/18 - 2/24

Race week is here! This is the best I've felt on a race week in some time (finger crossed!). I started this week battling a nasty cold that lasted until Tuesday night. I've been feeling gradually better each day since. I did a little specific training this week and a hard tempo to try and maintain some fitness. I feel strong and ready. Race day forecast is for sunny skies, mid 60's for the high and mid 30's for the low. That is ideal for me, t-shirt and shirts the whole way. No excuses. It is all about the mental gymnastics now.  One of the best quotes I've heard was by Ken Chlouber, founder of the Leadville Race Series: "The hardest distance to conquer is the five inches between your ears."

Of course, you can always reference Vince Lombardi for a good motivational quote:

- “The good Lord gave you a body that can stand most anything. It’s your mind you have to convince.”

- “Once you have established the goals you want and the price you’re willing to pay, you can ignore the minor hurts, the opponent’s pressure and the temporary failures.”

- “Life's battles don't always go to the stronger or faster man. But sooner or later the man who wins, is the man who thinks he can.”


This my favorite motivational video:


One last logistical note before I end for this week: I noticed that I have been using my Nathan Hydration pack more and more as a "race vest" lately. Frankly, fiddling with bladders is just a pain in the butt, particularly on race day. And I've had several malfunctions with bladders that always leaves me a little uneasy about a catastrophe during a race. I broke down and bought a new Ultimate Direction AK vest this weeks. I only ran with it once, but it was plenty to know that I am going to love it. It changes my drop bag strategy just a touch, but it should make things smoother and easier overall.

Day Miles Notes
Monday Rest Yoga for the Core
Tuesday 8 Repeats at the Bluffs
Wednesday5 Easy
Thursday74 @ Tempo (6:53)
FridayRest
Saturday 10Mt Falcon Taper Long
Sunday 5 Easy Snow Miles
Total 35 About 4200 vertical feet

No comments:

Post a Comment